Thursday, December 8, 2011

Resty Rest

Timely reading: I started reading The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan recently. I’m usually pretty weary of Christian nonfiction (well, most current Christian literature) as it usually simplifies things a little too much. But I’ve been enjoying this one.

The book focuses on the need for Sabbath and rest (as implied by the title). The second chapter then focuses on our thoughts towards rest. While we often relegate our level of rest towards our present circumstances (summer, mid-semester, exam week, etc.), real change starts in the way we consider our time. We’re called to renew our minds (Rom 12:2), not necessarily avoid all responsibility.

This comes at a time when I’m excited to move into an academic break (until February, no less). My first thought is that my circumstances alone will give me rest. But, as I read and think about it, the way I view time are what’s actually going to give me rest. Well, perhaps better said: changing my view of time will allow God to give me rest.

So hey, as you persevere through exams, find times to rest when you can. And looking into break, take the time to actually take a Sabbath.

Rest up.

No comments: