Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thoughts on Haiti

Amidst all the tragedies (and the news surrounding) the earthquake in Haiti, I have just a couple thoughts (who doesn't?).

Personally, I've probably read more articles in reaction to Pat Robertson's silly comments than I have about the disaster itself. That's sad; both on my part and on the media's.

Next, I wonder if it's possible for this tragedy to have occurred naturally. To many Christians (or other religious folks), an earthquake is seen as a sign from God or, at the very least, they question how God could let this happen. On the other side of the spectrum would be people citing the "blame" of this tragedy simply on natural occurrences (the country does lie on a fault line, susceptible to earthquakes). Would it be all that sacrilegious to ascribe this occurrence to science? When my car brakes down, I typically don't blame God. Maybe the spiritual and scientific explanations aren't mutually exclusive. Who knows why these things happen.

Finally, the main thing we need to remember to do is to pray, give, and be open to helping anyway we can.

No comments: