Sunday, December 31, 2023

Best Albums of 2023

 


What to say of the year in music? Obviously Beyoncé and Taylor dominated the live music scene with their respective tours changing economies this summer and putting a dent in the cultural zeitgeist. SZA finally released her much-anticipated sophomore album at the end of 2022, then overtaking much of the 2023 conversation. Personally, I moved to a new city and had a stellar record store a few minute drive down the street, wrecking my bank account and upping my love of collecting albums new and old. Ultimately, my top two albums were a battle between the sad folks and three & four were returns from top pop stars early in their careers. 


Ok, here we go with top 10 albums.

10. James Blake - Playing Robots into Heaven

Blake is back with the house beats. While I don't have this album memorized front to back, I've enjoyed the vibes and a few of the tracks have served as perfect night-time city driving, making me feel like I'm in a video game.



9. Youth Lagoon - Heaven is a Junkyard

Hello Youth Lagoon. YL is back after a brief retirement but I love the sound, bringing me back to the early years of the band. To me, YL shines best blending melancholy with hooky beats and that shines through on Heaven is a Junkyard


8. Zach Bryan - s/t

Zach Bryan might be trending amongst the gen-z kids these days but he hooked me with his folksy americana country that didn't feel cringey. My first real foray into Bryan's music (turned on by his collab with Maggie Rogers), his vocals are on point and lyrics are full heart-on-sleeve. Oh, and his Justin Vernon collab on the song Boys of Faith (separate EP) served as a repeat list 20x over on a road trip of mine this fall. 


7. Barbie the Album

Totally bought into the Barbie cultural revolution of 2023 and the vinyl was no exception. Original pop bops throughout with some of my fave artists. Ice Spice, Lizzo, Haim, Billie. Hot take: not a super-fan of I'm Just Ken


6. Arlo Parks - My Soft Machine

Parks is great. And perfect easy-listening music. Thus, my most-listened to artist of the year. I'm glad she returned with such a solid sophomore effort. Don't sleep on her breezy vibes!


5. SZA - SOS

The long awaited SZA album slaps. While I wouldn't consider myself a super fan as of a year ago, the SOS album is one of those no-skips, lengthy classics. I'm into it. She dropped this December 2022 but we all know the new year starts 12/1 for annual lists.


4. Olivia Rodrigo - Guts

Yesssss. More perfect bangers. Graduated from high school bops to college hits. I'm here for it. Making bad decisions and living through it with gusto. Ballads and pop. Rodrigo, keep doing your thing!


3. Troye Sivan - Something to Give Each Other

After the perfect-for-summer Rush single, the rest of this vibey album was just perfect for queer joy and hook-ups and celebrating life. I'm might be too old for Troye but this is a great pop album.

 

2. boygenius - The Record (& The Rest)

AOTY front runner for me for much of the year. The sad girlies came storming back after their EP and, wow, just rocking out and sharing the mic and the writing and just embodying how a super-band can/should be. Moving as hell and then just having fun. So good. Live show was a dream; no notes.


1. Sufjan Stevens - Javelin

When asked who my favorite artist is, I often say Sufjan. And then clarify that I'm mostly into his folksy stuff and then selective electronic stuff and the orchestra stuff is good but mostly my thing when in the pop format. Well, Sufjan blends so many of his sounds just perfectly on this album, letting the quiet stuff lead the way then following it with booming crescendos here and there. Oh yeah, this album is devastating, talking about loss and loves. Could put half the album's tracks on any sort of "best of 2023" list. I respect Sufjan for his artistry and authenticity and not being icky. He also embodies the most perfect sad boy life when he announces news of a sudden paralyzing health condition shortly before the album release and then dropped news of the recent death of his long-time partner the day his album dropped. I'm so heart-broken for him and hope he finds healing and joy and, selfishly, hope he continues to make music. 


Honorable Mention

  • Abraham Alexander - SEA/SONS
  • Omar Apollo - Live For Me EP
  • Feist - Multitudes
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time
  • Jungle - Volcano
  • Killer Mike - MICHAEL
  • Mitski - The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We
  • The National - Laugh Track
  • Noname - Sundial
  • Rhye - Passing EP
  • Romy - Mid Air
  • Sampha - Lahai
  • Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)
  • Toro y Moi - Sandhills EP
  • Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!

No comments: