Sunday, January 8, 2023

Best Television of 2022

 


Continued onslaught of TV out there. Majority of it is fine but unremarkable. But then I also loved my top 20 and really enjoyed my HM so I guess we keep watching as time and life allows. Perhaps there will be a year I cut back but that's not today.

20. What We Do in the Shadows (season 4, FX on Hulu)

The jokes. The concepts. The execution. This show rules and they've somehow made a house of vampires in Staten Island mockumentary comedy plot line interesting and fresh in a fourth season.


19. Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (season 1, Prime)

LOTR is one of those fantasy worlds I actually get lost in. Not my genre but the movies hit at the perfect time in my teenage years so there's certainly some nostalgia points here. I'm also not a big enough LOTR nerd to actually know if all of the lore lines up appropriately because I'm just along for the ride.


18. Reservation Dogs (season 2, FX on Hulu)

This show's second season got a lot of buzz. The most unique show on television. Doing its own thing. Beautifully shot and scripted and acted. Yes to all of these things. I thought the first season did that too. But glad it's getting the recognition it deserves. Go check out this show about native teens. It's funny and eye-opening.



17. Atlanta (season 3 & 4, FX on Hulu)

Two things. One: Atlanta walked so Reservation Dogs could run. Both from very specific points of view and just bizarre in the best way. Two: I haven't watched season four yet. Season three was wild and very bizarre at times with the crew roaming Europe on tour. I hear season four is back in ATL for the series finale and is excellent. So, it gets included too.



16. Never Have I Ever (season 3, Netflix)

From the mind of Mindy Kaling, this show is so fun and light and one of my fave teen bops of a show. Keep 'em coming!


15. Sort Of (season 2, HBO Max)

I live for these types of shows. Sort Of follows Sabi, gender-queer Pakistani 20 something in Toronto as they figure out life while reconciling their various identities and various communities. Go binge these (short) seasons over a weekend.


14. Hacks (season 2, HBO Max)

Hacks gets recognition for being great. And it is great. Two great comedic actors acting as comedians so, yeah, it's funny. Generational difference is centered but not the only dynamic at play. 



13. Girls5eva
(season 2, Peacock)

From the mind of Tina Fey, Girls5eva is joke-packed to the gills. I love it. More seasons, please.


12. The Sex Lives of College Girls (season 2, HBO Max)

Also from the mind of Mindy Kaling! This show is so fun and funny, following four first-year women at a prestigious liberal arts college. Lots of shenanigans and cliff-hangers and jokes. And I'm a sucker for a college-centered anything.

11. Somebody Somewhere (season 1, HBO)

A funny show that meanders through grief and feeling out of sorts and making community. Actors Bridget Everett and Jeff Hiller really make this one a worthy watch.


10. Severance (season 1, Apple TV+)

This show is weird, man. Weird corporation stuff is going on, there's off-kilter dance parties, our relationship to work is skewered. This one is worth the watch. 


9. Big Mouth (season 6, Netflix)
I love this pubescent animated show. A bunch of my favorite comedians voices middle-schoolers going through real stuff and handled so (im)maturely.


8. The Rehearsal (season 1, HBO)

I don't know how to describe this show. Or Nathan, the show-runner. Some weird ethical stuff with child actors revealed at the end. I had no idea where this IRL show was going. And I guess I'm here for shows that reinvent what television can be.


7. Mo (season 1, Netflix)

A handful of A24 auteur shows on my list. I think Mo was my favorite from this year. Mirroring parts of Mo's actually life, this scripted show beautifully depicted Houston, immigrant life, and middle eastern culture. Also, very funny.

6. Stranger Things 4 (season 4, Netflix)

Hour and a half episodes?! Are you kidding me?? But they were really good. And good on ST for creating a summer moment with Running Up a Hill.


5. Derry Girls (season 3, Netflix)

I've been late hopping into this show but these 19080s gals are so fun to follow. Lots of laughs with a tumultuous political backdrop. So, I guess there were literal laugh and cry moments.


4. Our Flag Means Death
(season 1, HBO Max)

Easily my favorite queer pirate TV show of all time.



3. Abbot Elementary
(seasons 1 & 2, ABC)

At this point, it feels like Abbot has been around for five years. But really it's just (mostly) been the 2022 calendar year. At this point, they mockumentary comedy format is well-trodden. Abbott brings a welcomed fresh-ness to the genre. The full ensemble is solid, the jokes hit, the plots are specific and appeal to a wide audience. Hoping for five more seasons.



2. Heartstopper
(season 1, Netflix)

Not much to say other than this cute little queer high school love story was precious and the sweetest way to spend four hours. 



1. The White Lotus
(season 2, HBO)

I missed watching season one live so I was ready for the cultural moment that season two turned out to be. Coolidge and Plaza, the intro theme song, the shots of waves crashing, the clothes. Hitting on all cylinders. Can't wait for a third season in the midwest.



Honorable Mention (listed alphabetically)
  • The Afterparty (season 1)Barry (season 3)
  • The Bear (season 1)
  • Better Things (season 5)
  • Bad Sisters (season 1)
  • Bob's Burgers (season 13)
  • Killing Eve (season 4]
  • Heartbreak High (season 1)
  • High School (season 1)
  • A League of their Own (season 1)
  • Loot (season 1)
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (season 4)
  • Only Murders in the Building (season 2)
  • Pause with Sam Jay (season 2)
  • Ms. Marvel (season 1)
  • Ramy (season 3)
  • Rap Sh1t (season 1)
  • Reboot (season 1)
  • Rutherford Falls (season 2)
  • Rupaul’s Drag Race (season 11)
  • She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (season 1)
  • Starstruck (season 2)
  • Search Party (season 5)
  • Tuca & Bertie (season 3)
  • We’re Here (season 3)
  • Welcome to Chippendales (season 1)
  • Welcome to Wrexham (season 1)

Highly Anticipated (listed alphabetically)
  • Andor (season 1)
  • The Crown (season 5)
  • The Patient (season 1)
  • Slow Horses (season 2)









No comments: