Saturday, January 1, 2022

Best Albums of 2021

 


I'm trying to keep my music listening alive. I get distracted by podcasts, TV, and life. I still really love listening to music and discovering new or current artists and albums. Lots of my albums are for the vibes or mood. My top two albums were legit "sought out all of the time" though. Sidenote: ten years too late, I took the plunge and bought a record-player (in November). Hoping that keeps me hooked in to the scene. The following are my top ten along with a list of other honorable mentions.

10. Leon Bridges - Gold-Diggers Sound
Leon continues to bring the sweet, smooth tunes. He does so again on this one. 

9. Jorja Smith - Be Right Back
Okay Jorja just has incredible vocals and her sound is so silky. And British. 

8. Paris, Texas - BOY ANONYMOUS
This group is a vibe. I'm here for it. 

7. Adele - 30
Adele saturates our culture. She has the vocals and the tracks to back it up. I'm generally a fan and respect her. I also don't have her on repeat. With 30, Adele meanders in the best way possible. There's some Rolling in the Deep sounds, some Motown girl group sounds, and her usual powerhouse ballads. She knows herself, she gets musically adventurous here and there, and there's a freshness that I'm here for.

6. Snail Mail - Valentine
Front-woman Lindsey Jordan levels up on this one. Her indie hooks and lyrics are fresher than ever. When I first heard single Valentine, I think I listened 10x in a row.

5. serpentwithfeet - DEACON
Black, queer love coming at ya in R&B. More accessible (to me) than his last, this whole album is a vibe and a bop. 

4. Rhye - Home
My most listened to artist of the year according to Spotify. Rhye is generally smooth and sexy. But emphasis on the smooth. Thus, this one was played a lot of mornings while working. It's lovely.

Clairo - Sling
Clairo also leveled up on this one. Her sound got more full and mature. And she's a young 23 years old. I feel like I'm listening to 1970's folk. Yes, more, please. 

2. Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
Where did Olivia come from?? I was generally aware of the Driver's License phenomenon. And then Deja Vu dropped and I was hooked. Her full album rolled around and bop after bop. Pop-punk, ballad, pop-bangers. She's a force to be reckoned with. 

1. Lucy Dacus - Home Video
Been a fan for a minute. Singles Hot & Heavy and Brando were solid and I was into the "exploring hometown" concept. Then VBS dropped and it was non-stop listens. That track's recollection of a religious upbringing, held not with rejection but rather growth and at a different place in the present. Plus the Slayer rock moment at the three minute mark. Single Thumbs is outrageously good too. Lastly, I saw Lucy live this September in Richmond, VA with good friends and doing something resembling normal life was such a gift.


Honorable Mention (listed alphabetically)
  • AJ Tracey - Flu Game
  • Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
  • Big Red Machine - How Long Do You Think It's Gonna Last?
  • Cautious Clay - Deadpan Love
  • James Blake - Friends That Break Your Heart
  • Jose Gonzalez - Local Valley
  • Lil Nas X - Montero 
  • Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
  • Semler - Preacher's Kid
  • SG Lewis - times
  • Sufjan Stevens & Angelo de Augustine - A Beginner's Mind
  • Vince Staples - self-titled
  • The War on Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore

No comments: