Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Best Albums of 2019


New music from 2019! I'm getting old and thus listening to music less (that's a trend, right?). But I still love a good tune. 2019 is the year I've hopped on the Spotify train indefinitely, whatever that means for my music listening. And after a concert-draught in 2018, I was happy to see a couple good local shows this year - Mountain Men and Lucy Dacus.

I've included my top 10 albums along with 10 honorable mentions. Sufjan Stevens and Lucy Dacus had some killer tracks but their EPs were quite full enough to warrant making the top 10 list... otherwise, here we go.

Oh, and here's a Spotify 50-track playlist of some of my favorite songs.

____________


10. The National - I Am Easy to Find
The National are back. The indie rock veterans have a distinct sound and they've wisely pushed themselves to experiment with new approaches. Last album Sleep Well Beast went a little loose and jangly. I Am Easy to Find brings in a number of female musicians including Sharon Van Etten, Lisa Hannigan, among others. The result brings a fresh take that I'm here for.

9. Jai Paul - Leak 04-13 (Bait Ones)
Recorded and leaked a while ago, the album officially came out in 2019, which is when I became aware of Jai Paul. Str8 Outta Mumbai is a jam and a half. Weird and distorted but all around a good listen.

8. Toro Y Moi - Outer Peace
My first foray into Toro Y Moi's discovery and I dig it. Both groovy and choppy. Tracks Ordinary Pleasures and Freelance are so fun. (And yes, a similar vibe as Jai Paul.)


7. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
Carly knows how to write really good pop songs. And I like listening to them. Who would have ever thought the Call Me Maybe earworm darling would carry on to make bubble-gum pop that has substance?

6. Bon Iver - i,i
Hi Justin Vernon. Keep making music. And I like the way you go with this one, infusing your latter digital sound with your earlier lush and heart-filled stuff.


5. Angelo de Augustine - Tomb
This is my go-to low-key album of the year. Plus track Time is just beautiful and has the perfect whistle hook.


4. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
2019 is the year of Lizzo. She dominates the charts and has the infectious personality that draws people in. Her music is unabashedly fun and self-empowering. With non-stop pop hits, I've kept coming back.

3. James Blake - Assume Form
To be honest, James Blake had started to fade from my periphery. While making solid albums for the last decade, I enjoyed his sound but thought it would be more of the same. But Assume Form has a fresh sound, honest lyrics, and kept me surprised. A release early in the year that has kept me listening.


2. Maggie Rogers - Heard It in a Past Life
At long last, Maggie makes her major label debut. Her EP from a few years ago also landed on my top 10 list and I've been highly anticipating this one. With bop gems like Light On and Burning and slow burn masterpieces like Alaska and Fallingwater, she brought along a few tracks from the EP and only leveled up with the full album. Can't wait for more from this artist.

1. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
Thanks Vampire Weekend for only getting better. While the last album, Modern Vampires of the City was focused and reflective on life and faith, Father of the Bride is sprawling and a little more comfortable with their given situation. With the many tracks comes some new sounds and some features from folks from bands Haim and The Internet.


________________


Honorable Mentions (alphabetical)
Beck - Hyperspace 
Charli XCX - Charli
Chance the Rapper - The Big Day 
Lucy Dacus - 2019 
The Head and the Heart - Living Mirage
Helado Negro - This is How You Smile 
Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari
Sufjan Stevens - Love Yourself / With My Whole Heart 
The Tallest Man on Earth - I Love You. It's a Fever Dream. 
Thom Yorke - ANIMA

No comments: